As a writer, do you really need a website?
Well, yes, you do.
This was the question and answer I got when I wrote my first book. To be honest I wasn’t too interested about anything else except writing. So, the question didn’t arise until I was deciding how to publish my almost completed book.
Do you really need your own web?
This question arose when I did a little research on how to market my book – yes, as a self-published author you’ll need to do some marketing to get eyes on to your masterpiece.
OK, so you’ve managed to download your eBook on Amazon. But, after that first flush of all friends and family having bought your book, what happens when your sales dry up?
Deep depression is the answer!
Why you need a website.
You need a website, but why?
- To tell the world about your book. Doesn’t Amazon do that for you, you may ask? No, not after the first flush of you books launch – unless of course you PAY?
- You can sell your book on your own website and keep all the royalties.
- You’re in control of what happens to your book.
- You need a website for fans, and anyone interested in your book.
- Marketing, along with social media
- A place to encourage fans to join your mailing list
Above is only a short list of why you’ll need a website, and the best time to get your own website is when you first start writing your book, so that you can start gathering fans which are potential customers.
What do I need to start a website?
First off, you’ll need a host. But what is a website host? Here is a quick explanation:
- A web host, or web hosting service provider, is a business that provides the technologies and services needed for the website or webpage to be viewed in the Internet. Websites are hosted, or stored, on special computers called servers. … If you do not have a domain, the hosting companies will help you purchase one. Read the full article
You will also require a domain which is the name of your website. Your host server can assist you with this.
What is a Domain
- Domain … A domainname is the address where Internet users can access your website.
- A domainname is used for finding and identifying computers on the Internet.
- Computers use IP addresses, which are a series of number. However, it is difficult for humans to remember strings of numbers.
Why do you need a domain?
- On the Internet, your domain name is your unique identity. Any individual, business or organization planning to have an Internet presence should invest in a domain name.
- Having your own domain name, website and email addresses will give you and your business a more professional look.
- Another reason for a business to register a domain name is to protect copyrights and trademarks, build credibility, increase brand awareness, and search engine positioning.
You need a web builder
Don’t stop reading because that sounds scary. There is help. If you’re able to use your computer, you can certainly do this. There is a great variety of platforms out there you can build a site you need:
- Constant Contact Website Builder
- Gator by HostGator
- GoDaddy Website Builder
The list from WPBeginners, and you can read the full article HERE
Recap what you will need for a website
- Web Host
- Domain Name
- Web builder
If you’re still a little overwhelmed about why you need a website, when all you wanted to do was a write a book.
There is, as I mentioned earlier a wonderful website with every bit of help you could possibly need. I have no affiliation to this site but a great gratitude for all their generous free help.
Visit https://www.wpbeginner.com/guides/ and check them out, and find step by step help answering your question – as a writer do you need a website?
DON’T FORGET TO GET YOUR FREE, NO OBLIGATION TASK PLANNER